Software helps people do all kinds of tasks faster, easier, and better than before. This includes human resources responsibilities in business. No longer must HR professionals be buried in paperwork, contracts, and tedious spreadsheet programs.
HR management software (also known as HRIS software) has revolutionized the way businesses work and reduced the time and effort required to manage staff.
But what exactly is HRIS software and how can it be utilized effectively in small or medium-sized businesses?
Read on to find out.
What is HRIS software?
Some HR software is designed to do just one thing, for example, gathering employee feedback or tracking employee hours. An HRIS system is a software package that combines multiple systems and processes. The features available in typical HRIS software perform all the basic functions for end-to-end human resources management but will also cover a business advanced needs as well.
What benefits do HRIS software systems offer?
The benefits of an HRIS system are enormous, but they basically fall into three categories:
- Managing data: A full-featured HRIS saves time, effort, and money by keeping all employee data in one organized, secure database and by streamlining or automating many tedious, repetitive HR tasks.
- Analysing data: HRIS software gives you tools for deeper understanding of employee data. You can easily generate an array of insightful reports to identify trends and help managers make informed decisions.
- Elevating HR’s role: Combining the benefits above allow HR teams to be recognized as a full-fledged strategic partner whose contributions are essential to the company’s growth and success.
These broad benefits lead to a wide variety of advantages that make HR easier and more effective. Here are a few examples:
- Centralized data means no more hunting through filing cabinets for the right papers or tracking down the latest version of a spreadsheet.
- You can standardize data from different business units or geographic locations.
- You only have to enter information once that will be used for many HR tasks, and you don’t have to log into multiple systems that don’t communicate with each other.
- Self-service makes it easy for employees to view and manage their personal information, freeing HR departments up to spend time on more important tasks.
- Automated reminders automatically prod staff to meet key deadlines and remember important events.
- HRIS software can streamline mundane tasks like time entry and performance management.
What are the different features of HRIS software?
It’s amazing how many different things HR software can do. Available features might include:
- Recruiting and applicant tracking
- Employee database
- Employee feedback
- Employee recognition
- Employee self-service
- Learning management
- Managing time off
- Performance management
- Reporting and analytics
- Time tracking
How should I choose an HRIS system?
If you are looking for HRIS software for your business, deciding between the many competing systems on the market may seem daunting. Here are a few steps that will help you make a wise choice:
Determine your budget
This may seem obvious but there are a large range of HRIS available, with prices ranging from a few hundred pounds per month to tens of thousands, so you’ll need to be realistic in selecting a system that matches your business needs in line with your budget.
Depending on the nature of your organisation, you may also have to factor in implementation and system integration costs, which can take up a considerable amount of your available budget. This is because scripts may have to be written so that your chosen solution can communicate with any legacy business applications your organisation uses, and extensive testing will also have to be carried out to ensure everything works together as planned. Your chosen solutions provider can guide you on the most appropriate offering and help you anticipate costs associated with your implementation and systems integration if required.
Determine your business needs
You may already be thinking about some pressing problems you’d like to solve with HR software. That’s a good start, but you need to dig deeper to determine all of the needs an HRIS should help you with, now and in years to come.
Make a list of your organization’s HR software needs by thinking about each of these categories:
- What does it need to do to simplify tasks and processes
- What does it need to do to solve current problems
- What does it need to do to overcome upcoming challenges
- What does it need to do to achieve long-term goals
- What does it do to support your organization’s mission and values
You need to determine which HRIS software products have all the features needed to meet your buying criteria. Online HRIS research can quickly help you find highly rated systems and compare their feature set. Remember, you’re not looking for the greatest number of features – you’re looking for the right combination of features to meet your requirements
Once you’ve done your homework, you’re ready to get quotes and look for free trials. Try systems out yourself whenever possible and ask how long it takes to complete the workflows you’ll use most often.
How do I implement an HRIS system successfully?
Once you’ve chosen your new HRIS software, you’ll be eager to get it up and running. This will take some time and effort and a plan should be devised to ensure it goes smoothly.
The steps in your implementation plan should include:
- Installing the new system.
- How it will coordinate with third-party services that must sync with your new HR software.
- Gathering all company and employee data and migrating it to the new system.
- Configuring and testing the HRIS before it goes live.
- Training stakeholders and employees on how to use the new system.
- Launching it live and making any necessary technical adjustments.
- Gathering feedback from stakeholders and end users.
An integrated HR and payroll solution, when used properly, can enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of your business.
We hope you have enjoyed this guide. For more useful workplace information, check out the rest of our website.