Work Time recording Definition
Recording working time is critical especially when it comes to the determination of basic data for payroll or the allocation of hours worked to projects. In addition, labor law requires companies to comply with legal requirements relating to working hours. However, before introducing a time recording, companies should answer the following questions. Why should companies introduce time recording in the first place?
Here are some reasons to support this:
- Facilitation of work
- Working hours can be better attributed to activities and projects
- Cost savings
- Working hours and overtime are calculated automatically
- Better control
What are the advantages and disadvantages of recording working time for employees and companies?
Benefits for employees:
- Better self-regulation of payrolls
- Transparency of time balances and absenteeism
- Planning facilitation such as holiday planning
Benefits for businesses:
- Efficient payroll
- Automated process
- Work process optimization
- Minute-by-minute time accounting
- Efficient booking archiving and traceability of past data
- Better security, transparency, and overview
- Employees can be used more efficiently.
- Better workforce planning
- Facilitating work and improving profitability
Disadvantages for companies:
- Violations of data protection for non-data protection-compliant applications.
- Manipulation of bookings by employees possible.
- No statement about employee productivity if times are not recorded on a project-by-project basis.
Time recording in practice
A distinction is made between the following types of time recording systems:
- Electronic time recording: A hardware terminal is used for this purpose. The function is similar to the clock of the time, but is more modern.
- Fingerprint time recording / biometric time recording: The fingerprint is scanned and used to identify the employees.
- Mobile time recording: The working hours are transmitted and stored using portable devices. This can be done via mobile phone, smartphone, special hardware, PDAs, or barcode scanner. This variant is ideal for employees who are not very busy, e.g. field staff, employees on the construction.
- Working time recording online: At the beginning of the work, the employee logs on to the software, and off again at break times or at the end of work.
- Excel Template: Many smaller companies still use the Excel table to record time, create templates for this purpose, and evaluate the times.
- Clock in and out from browser
- Time tracking via Phone & Tablet app
- View & approve time records online
- Export timesheets to payroll
- View & approve staff vacation requests
- Overview of employee availability & absences