The Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Act 2023 is a new law in the United Kingdom that gives workers the right to request a more predictable working pattern. The law applies to all workers, regardless of their employment contract, including those on zero-hours contracts and temporary contracts.
The law is intended to help workers have more control over their working lives and to make it easier for them to balance their work and personal commitments. It is also expected to help reduce stress and anxiety among workers.
What does it mean to have a predictable working pattern?
A predictable working pattern is one that is known to the worker in advance and that does not change frequently. It may include regular working hours, a set number of hours per week, or a set number of shifts per week.
How do I request a more predictable working pattern?
To request a more predictable working pattern, you must write to your employer and explain what changes you would like to make. You can use the government’s template letter to do this.
What are the valid grounds for refusing a request for a more predictable working pattern?
The law sets out six statutory grounds on which an employer can refuse a request for a more predictable working pattern:
- Additional cost
- Ability to meet customer demand
- Impact on recruitment
- Impact on other areas of the business
- Insufficiency of work during the proposed periods
- Planned structural changes
What can I do if my employer refuses my request?
If your employer refuses your request, they must explain their reasons to you in writing. You can then appeal the decision to an employment tribunal.
How the new law could be used
Here are some examples of how the new law could be used:
- A worker on a zero-hours contract could ask their employer to guarantee them a certain number of hours per week.
- A shift worker could ask their employer to change their shift pattern so that they can be home in time to put their children to bed.
- A worker who has to care for an elderly relative could ask their employer to reduce their hours or to give them more flexible working hours.
Benefits of the new law
The new law has a number of potential benefits for workers, including:
- More control over their working lives
- A better balance between work and personal commitments
- Reduced stress and anxiety
- Improved mental and physical health
- Increased productivity
How Papershift can help you comply with the new law
Papershift’s rota planning, time tracking, absence management, and payroll software can help you to comply with the new law in a number of ways.
Rota planning – Papershift’s rota planning software allows you to create and manage rotas for your employees that are predictable and fair. You can take into account employee availability, skills, and preferences when creating rotas, and you can make changes to rotas easily as needed.
Time tracking – Papershift’s time and attendance tracking software allows you to track the time that your employees spend on different tasks. This information can be used to ensure that employees are working their agreed-upon hours and that they are not being overworked.
Absence management – Papershift’s absence management software allows employees to request time off and for managers to approve or deny requests. It also tracks employee absences and generates reports. This information can be used to ensure that employees are not taking too much time off and that absences are covered.
Payroll – Papershift’s payroll software calculates and pays employees’ wages accurately and on time. The software takes into account employee hours worked, pay rates, and taxes to ensure that employees are paid correctly.
How to use Papershift to comply with the new law
Here are some specific ways that you can use Papershift to comply with the new law:
- Use the rota planning software to create predictable rotas for your employees.
- Use the time tracking software to ensure that employees are working their agreed-upon hours and that they are not being overworked.
- Use the absence management software to track employee absences and to ensure that absences are covered.
- Use the payroll software to calculate and pay employees’ wages accurately and on time.
The Workers (Predictable Terms and Conditions) Act 2023 is a significant step forward for workers’ rights in the UK. It gives workers more power to negotiate with their employers and to create working arrangements that suit their needs.
If you are a worker in the UK, you should be aware of your rights under the new law. If you have any questions or concerns, you should contact your employer or a trade union representative.
Here are some additional tips for workers who are considering requesting a more predictable working pattern:
- Be clear and specific about what changes you are requesting.
- Explain why the changes are important to you.
- Be willing to compromise.
- Be prepared to appeal the decision if your employer refuses your request.
- Create any scheduling pattern
- Click employees into rota schedule
- Staff view by hours, day & week
- Fast & auto schedule planning
- Publish rota via app to employees
- Automatic timesheets from rota schedules